Why use Telemedicine?
Telemedicine is two-way, real-time interactive communication between a patient and healthcare provider at a distant site, supported by audio and video equipment and integrated medical devices. Advances in IT infrastructure, communication and connected medical devices are enabling clinicians to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients remotely.
In many situations, telemedicine offers numerous benefits as a complement to traditional in-person medical care, including:
- Telemedicine has been cited as being particularly helpful in rural areas, where the shortage of healthcare providers had led to a lack of accessibility to both basic healthcare and specialty care.
- Through telemedicine, patients can to get access to healthcare faster, which is a leading factor in improved patient engagement and better outcomes.
- As the healthcare industry is being driven towards value-based care, the use of telehealth technologies results in many positive outcomes including: fewer hospital re-admissions, more faithful following of prescribed courses of treatment, and faster recovery than that of patients not receiving remote intervention.
- Telemedicine allows hospitals to create hub-and-spoke networks to provide each other with support. By easily sharing their expertise outside their own institutions, doctors can offer incredible value to their medical colleagues and those colleagues’ patients.
- Remote medical technology is an increasingly effective way to administer preventive medicine and manage chronic conditions.
These are just a few of the benefits that can be realized from the use of telemedicine. As the industry continues to grow and change, GlobalMed is on the forefront in providing innovative telemedicine technology and solutions.